Question (Slip Away)
Ron Thoma
2005-02-08 23:23:31 UTC
I'm new to smooth jazz. I saw on BET last night a video by Metheny and the
song was "Slip Away."

I LOVED it!!! I'm now headed down this jazz path for the first time.

Since I know nothing about his music what other songs has he done that sound
like "Slip Away" but are longer? I especially liked the middle part with
that guitar playing and that driving drum beat. Is there a longer version of
this song or is there another song almost just like it?

Thanks
ric
2005-02-09 23:25:21 UTC
Post by Ron Thoma
I'm new to smooth jazz. I saw on BET last night a video by Metheny and the
song was "Slip Away."
I LOVED it!!! I'm now headed down this jazz path for the first time.
Since I know nothing about his music what other songs has he done that sound
like "Slip Away" but are longer? I especially liked the middle part with
that guitar playing and that driving drum beat. Is there a longer version of
this song or is there another song almost just like it?
"Slip Away" is from the PMG CD "Letter From Home" [Geffen 24245,
Nonesuch 79009.] This CD is similar to the PMG effort "Still Life
(Talking)" [Geffen 24145, Nonesuch 79008.]

Try these two CDs. Not really "smooth" jazz, but Brazilian pop
influenced jazz/pop/folk.
newsguy
2005-03-04 02:14:20 UTC
Yep - definitely start with "Letter from Home" and "Still Life Talking" and
then add "We Live Here" which is chock full of driving drums and beautiful
guitar and keyboard solo's.

The only other artist's I know of that have that smooth sound are Brian
Hughes (his earlier albums) and George Benson (latter albums).