Pat on DVD
Mike Due
2003-08-19 19:52:55 UTC
I finally bought a DVD player and was hoping to get some
recommendations for PMG on DVD. I saw a "Shadows and Light" title from
Joni Mitchell, got me to wondering if Pat's "Travels" or any other
title might also be available. And, in addition to availability, can
anyone offer a qualitative judgement about these discs? Thanks.
Theo Gluck
2003-08-20 05:04:52 UTC
I have the following DVDs (all are live concert videos):

WE LIVE HERE (1995 live in Japan)
SECRET STORY (1993 live in New Brunswick, NJ)
IMAGINARY DAY (1998 live in Saratoga, CA) good audio, but video quality
suffer as the sun goes down during the course of the concert

There is also a 5.1 DVD-Audio remix of IMAGINARY DAY (which I also have
and is terrific)

Theo
Studio City, CA
1. We Live Here is a great collection of music and interviews with the
group. It's from a live concert in Japan and, AFAIR, it's from around
1995 -- at least that's when I saw them on that tour. 2. Imaginary Day:
This is only music and no video. If you have the CD, don't bother.
3. Woodstock Jazz Festival. From a 1981 concert, there's a very young
Pat with Jack Dejonette, Chick Corea, & others. Interesting if you must
have everything Pat does -- otherwise it's not essential.
BTW, there's one other DVD I know of -- Secret Story -- that I've never
seen but would love to have. I'm not even sure if it's available outside
of Japan.
Rod.
Steve2000indeja
2003-08-30 21:21:13 UTC
I found the Joni Mitchell vid at Costco for $8.99. Not only is Pat in her band,
but also Lyle, Jaco and Michael Brecker. Of course they are backing Joni,
playing her music.

My dvd player is on the fritz and I haven't been able to watch this dvd yet. At
$8.99 I didn't think twice about buying it.

I have the video for the early 90s live cd "The Road To You" on vhs. It's
excellent.

Steve
Theo Gluck
2003-08-31 04:12:27 UTC
The music on this Joni disc is superb. The production however is a notch
above amature. It feels like there were one or two cameras on the entire
time. Bad choice of shots, odd montage and editorial choices at the
head. But man - that music and that band make it all worthwhile

Theo
Studio City, CA
Steve
John
2003-09-01 00:14:01 UTC
Joni Mitchell: "Shadows and Light"

I had this on VHS and loaned it to a friend years ago. Haven't seen it
since. I saw it the other week at Best Buy on DVD and scooped it up.
Unfortunately I paid more than $8.99. But that's OK.

I love the music but my main reason for getting it in the first place was
Jaco (then Pat, Lyle and the rest.)

I do agree about the production. A notch above amateur is about right.

"Hejira" is one of my favorite Joni/Jaco tunes. I only wish they had cut
that skating sequence to show the band playing during that cut.

This may be the only commercially available video of Jaco in performance. If
anybody knows of others, please chime in.

John
Steve
Theo Gluck
2003-09-01 05:37:29 UTC
Post by John
Joni Mitchell: "Shadows and Light"
I had this on VHS and loaned it to a friend years ago. Haven't seen it
since. I saw it the other week at Best Buy on DVD and scooped it up.
Unfortunately I paid more than $8.99. But that's OK.
I love the music but my main reason for getting it in the first place was
Jaco (then Pat, Lyle and the rest.)
I do agree about the production. A notch above amateur is about right.
"Hejira" is one of my favorite Joni/Jaco tunes. I only wish they had cut
that skating sequence to show the band playing during that cut.
***SNIP

My point EXACTLY. I have no doubt that sort of montage is par for the
course when placed in historical/aethetic perspective. But I am
intertesed in seeing the entire band play - solos and all.

Theo
Andrew Jones
2003-09-01 17:48:12 UTC
John,
Post by John
This may be the only commercially available video of Jaco in performance. If
anybody knows of others, please chime in.
Isn't there an instruction video by Jaco now on DVD?

Andrew
"Power to the Peaceful"- Michael Franti
jb
Theo Gluck
2003-11-26 23:34:23 UTC
Post by Mike Due
I finally bought a DVD player and was hoping to get some
recommendations for PMG on DVD. I saw a "Shadows and Light" title from
Joni Mitchell, got me to wondering if Pat's "Travels" or any other
title might also be available. And, in addition to availability, can
anyone offer a qualitative judgement about these discs? Thanks.
allow me.....

there are 4 concert DVDs that I am aware of

WE LIVE HERE (recorded in Japan in 1995)
SECRET STORY (recorded in New Brunswick NJ, Nov. 24, 1992)
IMAGINARY DAY (recorded at live @ The Mountain Winery, Saratoga, CA July
21-23, 1998)

All are very enjoyable. The IMAGINARY DAY disc suffers terribly in image
quality as it is an outdoor concert that started in the late afternoon.
While the lighting may be lovely if you're in the venue, it is woefully
inadequate for a decent video image. BUT it does have Sept. 15th and
Minuano (6/8).

SS is certainly not the whole concert (only 10 cuts) but the way I see it,
ANY live Pat mixed to 5.1 is heaven in my book.

I think the Joni Mitchell DVD is saved by the music as the video
production is pure amature hour.

And as for "kind of" - My wife has bought me the just released
SPEAKING OF NOW tour DVD for Hannukah but I am not getting it for another
3 weeks.

AARGH!

Theo
Studio City, CA